Texas Confirms Anthrax Case in White-tailed Deer near Uvalde
AUSTIN - The first confirmed case of anthrax in a Texas animal for 2012 has been detected in an adult white-tailed male deer near Uvalde (Uvalde County). At this time no domestic livestock are involved.
Anthrax is a bacterial disease caused by Bacillus anthracis, which is a naturally occurring organism with worldwide distribution, including Texas. It is not uncommon for anthrax to be diagnosed in livestock or wildlife in the Southwest part of the state. In recent years, cases have been primarily confined to a triangular area bounded by the towns of Uvalde, Ozona and Eagle Pass.
“The TAHC will continue to closely monitor the situation for possible new cases across the state. Producers are encouraged to consult with their veterinary practitioner or local TAHC office about the disease,” Dr. Dee Ellis, State Veterinarian, said.
For more information regarding anthrax, visit http://www.tahc.state.tx.us/animal_health/anthrax/anthrax.html or call 1-800-550-8242.
The Texas Animal Health Commission works to protect the health of all Texas livestock, including: cattle, swine, poultry, sheep, goats, equine animals, and exotic livestock.
- Descendants of Goodnight Ranch Bison Back in Texas
- Sen. Craig Estes Files HB 174 – Stray Bison Bill
- TBA Board Adopts NBA Code of Ethics
- TBA Becomes Allied Member of TSCRA
- Texas Bison Assn Joins Texas Wildlife Association
- Caprock Canyons State Park, Bison Herd Honored at Texas State Capitol
- New Cattle Traceability Rule Question & Answer - What You Need to Know
- Texas Confirms Anthrax Case in White-tailed Deer near Uvalde
- Texas Bison Association Announces Support for National Bison Legacy Act
- Texas Bison Association Condemns White Buffalo Killing
- Texas Bison Estray Law Signed by Governor
- Texas Bison Advantage Workshop attracts Producers and Junior Judges
- Senate Passed the National Bison Day Resolution!
- TBA attends Mid-Texas Farm and Ranch Show, Waco Texas
- TBA booth at The Texas Independence Day celebration in Granbury